Pages

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Just like a real blog

My new obsession. Via Plantive Wail. Fuck you stee for bringing this into my life.

*

Last week I stepped up as Managing Web Editor for Topic Magazine. Day before yesterday, I went to Midtown Comics and bought RADIO, a comic collaboration between Jessica Abel and the This American Life Crew. Inside the 1999 book (besides great drawings and lettering) there are tips on how to do a great radio interview. Since Topic has a similar obsession as TAM with people, their storis and how those stories relate to larger issues, I found all the information to be quite helpful. I may even reserve it as an intern text. I wish someone gave me a comic the last time I interned. See, my new initatives are coming together already!

*

I also got Raisin Pie #4. I need to know who burned down that library! When I met Ariel Bordeaux this winter as she curated the comics parts of the Grace Reading Series, I totally forgot that I had emailed with her before about Raisin Pie. Another chance to harass cartoonists I like wasted.

*

I also bought Honey Talks, a comic collection by the Stripburger/ Forum Ljubljana folks. The collection is a box of minicomics based on Slovenian folk art called "beehive panels." The design is so simple and beautiful that I couldn't not buy it. Take a look and see if you feel the same:
If you don't feel like squinting, go here.


*

News from the past: A few weeks ago I went to the Small Press Month reading at Mo Pitkins. I missed all the readers I wanted to see, but I did manage to hear some good poetry from Belladonna's readers. I don't usually go in for that sort of thing but these gals were making poetry that felt relevant and strong. Even so, I decided to venture out into th ice storm where I met a nice girl and went to a bar with her. Though we did manage to discuss books and films and other things with each other and other fine, fine people, the night ended up a bit of a travesty. Free drinks do not always end up being free my friends.

No comments: