Pages

Thursday, January 05, 2012

Here is something I did:
I decided that I actually wanted access to my minis and some reliable way to find them. Arranging them alphabetically by author seemed the way to go, and these corrugated cardboard boxes (acid content be damned)  were convenient receptacles for most sizes of minis. The tinies & humongoes are on the bookshelf above in no order,  but the bulk of my collection is now here. I was able to do a bunch of weeding as well. The compilations, like my beloved Papercutters, are on another shelf right now, but will end up in a box too when a suitable one arrives.

Now I have one big box of unread stuff to go through, and I am sure that I will need at least two more browsing boxes of this size when I am through. As I hinted at above, this is not a great longterm preservation solution, but it is cheap. Perhaps when I have a little more archive money (hire me!), I will splurge on some acid free boxes.

I also weeded my fiction collection and arranged that alphabetically by author as well. I tried to get rid of the Pynchon and other such things, but B wouldn't let me go all the way. As punishment, he must read Gravity's Rainbow in 2012.

All this talk of minis may have you wondering when I am going to start reviewing them again. I promise to have gained a new PO box by the end of January. See you in the mail.

4 comments:

kenan said...

You don't find half/quarter size minis getting lost in there? I have mine arranged by size and stuffed into corresponding shoeboxes, which is useless for finding things, but good for density and the preservation of my apartment's precious open space.

Your system seems immediately superior. Case in point: I know where your copy of Milk Teeth is, but would be hard-pressed to find my own.

Carrie said...

Kenan, the little ones, including your Oubliettes, and big ones are in another place right now. The half size are ok in there.

Like I said, I wanted them to be out and available. This project gave me another chance to weed things too.

Amanda said...

HA!I have a copy of Gravity's Rainbow that I found in a crate in my parents' basement. I asked if I could borrow it, and my dad assured me I could "just plain take the damn thing and promise to never bring it back."

He bought it when it was published, never read it, moved house with it at least 8 times, and now I've moved house (apartment) with it approximately 21 times. And have never read it either.

Carrie said...

A, I just don't see the point of keeping and displaying such a thing as Gravity's Rainbow! B boasted of reading half of it once and when I said, "And it was terrible, right," he said yes. Ha! Still, it is his book and I can't just give it away.