Pages

Monday, January 09, 2006

Books for Airplanes and Family Visits

These are the books I am bringing to what is likely to be a stressful cross country trip:

Camp Concentration by Thomas Disch
Joe College by Tom Perrotta
Comfort Me with Apples by Ruth Reichl (maybe)

Any other suggestions? I want books that are funny, possibly removed from this place in the space/time continuum and won't make me horny (okay a little horniness is okay).

*** Editied to add that I'm going to bring That Old Ace in the Hole, and to say hello to Mike.

1 comment:

Mike said...

If you haven't read it all ready, I'm a big fan of Stella Gibbons's Cold Comfort Farm -- especially if there's an inch of you at all that enjoys Jane Austen.

And that's it as far as the funny goes. I don't read it much -- but never really realized that until I tried to come up with recommendations for you.

The Unconsoled is not funny -- or, at least, it's not funny throughout (there's a scene of a guy in a bathrobe giving a eulogy that's chuckle-worthy); however, it's a damned good novel, I think. It's very odd and dreamlike, and I'm not sure I understand entirely what Ishiguro is trying to do. But I've been pimping the hell out of it lately.