Pages

Friday, December 23, 2005

Holiday Blues

The books keeping me company this holiday will be:

L.A. Confidential by James Ellroy
I really can't get into this book so far. I love hardboiled stuff, especially with an undertone of dread, but this is trying too hard maybe? It's a shame because you can sense a real intelligence underlaying the story.

The Gastronomical Me by MFK Fisher
Biographical writing from simply the best food writer I've encountered.

Hokkaido Popsicle by Issac Adamson
This will be a mystery, I picked it up at a library sale for $1, and it don't look so hot Bill Murray.

Whistle Stop by Maritta Wolff
I ordered this on a whim from the library. Wolff was writing in the 40s and I've been looking to expand my reading of women authors from that time. It looks good.

Whatever's in the bathroom
A book an ancient Greek thinking, some comics, some short stories and an old issue of Star, all fecally-endowed I'm sure.

A few pages here, a few pages there, some figgy pudding... whatever. All fuel for my war on Christmas.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Ms. Void, you have excellent taste.
Slaughterhouse 5 is excellent, keep reading... I'm not sure if you've read other Vonnegut, but een his mediocre stuff is well worth it.

I love George Orwell as well. Check out
Keep the Aspidistra Flying. It has kind of an ambiguous message, but it is well-observed.

I am adding Down and Out... and the Brothers to my list.

Keep me posted!