Pages

Monday, August 10, 2009

I've been reading short stories. Lots and lots of short stories. I keep flitting in and out of all these different worlds. Snow and zoos and kids and dads and dads and cancer and beaches and love. I usually hate this sort of reading experience, but, perhaps because of the heat and the transitional time, I am really enjoying it.

&&&


Reading RASL by Jeff Smith is the antidote to comic book malaise. Though his main character looks disconcertingly short-limbed sometimes, the story is solid and the art is moves everything along. Dimension-jumping has unexpectedly become a theme in my reading the past few months. It's a concept that I'm finding more interesting than time travel or space these days.

RASL and the excellent Poison the Cure (part 3 needs to come out now) are the only two scifi comics that I have ever enjoyed.

&&&


Strange Horizons is having another fund drive. They offer so much goodness for free, they pay their writers, and they obviously need a makeover, though I don't think any of this money is going to cosmetics. Donate now! If you do, let me know!

3 comments:

LOOKA said...

The short story (in general) is my fave read of all time. It's got a good energy. The only thing I loved taking with me from the German classes!

Glad you enjoyed RASL... I still have to find a jump on point with it... funfact: I just started to read Bone in single issues!

Shit, I wish I could donate to Strange Horizons!

Carrie said...

I wish I could donate too. Right now is a bad time though.

Brandon said...

If you haven't enjoyed much in the way of scifi comics before, I highly recommend backissues of Six From Sirius and Six From Sirius 2.

My retrospective comments about the series on my blog.

I also have an interview with the creators on my blog.