Pages

Friday, June 30, 2006

Quickie

I am going away for the weekend. To lure myself back I am leaving the excellent Magic For Beginners by Kelly Link in NYC. This book is so good that I went to the library site and ordered half of their holdings from Small Beer Press, including Link's first story collection, Stranger Things Happen. I resisted reading the summaries and just blindly ordered. That's what I like about the library-- no repercussions for wild clicking. This book is so good that if the quality of the stories stays consistant, I will buy it for friends and maybe even myself. I know, I said "buy" and I meant full price.

I will have to lug this computer with me, so keep those suggestions coming. I will need a break from mad deadline chasing and outline writing. I still want to know what's in your bathroom...

5 comments:

Samantha Moss said...

In case you like synergy, here is some synergy: Sean Stewart wrote a pretty great book about ghosts and Texas called Perfect Circle that was issued by Small Beer Press, although I didn’t have a reference point for SBP until I read Magic for Beginners and started looking into Kelly Link a little more and noticed Perfect Circle in the SBP catalogue. That made me wonder what Sean Stewart was up to, so I started looking around and found that he’s been involved in ‘alternate reality games’ -- a concept I had been half-following but had not really connected with the title story from Magic for Beginners until that point -- but in retrospect it makes total sense that that’s what’s going on with The Library. At any rate, there is an interview with Stewart that I found interesting called “The Story Doesn’t Care”; I was so impressed with his weird brain that I forwarded the link to my home computer with the subject line “Try Harder”. And then today I was linking from litblog to litblog and I came across yours. THAT’S IT. END OF SYNERGY.

Carrie said...

I love me some synergy.
Thanks for the comment. I will definitely check out that interview...

Anonymous said...

"Words Fail Me" By Patricia O'Connor

An o.k. and easy read about honing your writing skills. More than this, she vindicated my complete hatred of outlines! Oh yeah, The Philadelphia Inquirer and the always-shitty (definitely deserving of a bathroom) Bucks County Courier Times.

Carrie said...

Hi Matt!

Did you get my letter?

Anonymous said...

Yes, I got your letter--it perked me up on a day I wasn't feeling to great...response to come. But, here are the answers to your questions: 215.666.1101 is my phone number, the stories are coming along though I'm at a stand still on how to move it along, and, yes, i would love to have help editing it.