Pages

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Booking in Basel

I scrambled to pack for this weird trip to Basel. I am accompanying my father for a cancer treatment, watching him, nursing him, etc. What a time to read, right?

I struggled to bring books that were both absorbing and light, in both senses. I ended up with:
 The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter
Honored Guest by Joy Williams
The Skating Rink by Robert Bolano
Twin Time or How Death Befell Me by Veronica Gonzalez
Conjunctions 59: Colloquy (much less depressing than Conjunctions 60: In Absentia)

So far The Bloody Chamber was an, um, unfortunate choice. Angela Carter's psychosexual fairy tales might be great for a rainy night with a lover or enemy, but they are not so great for long nights spent in bed with your ailing Dad. Honored Guest is better so far, projecting a sense of strangeness, unease and hope that better suits my circumstances.

As for comics, the Cartoonmuseum Basel is closed for the time I am here. Boo. Anyone have tips for comics satisfaction in this town?


3 comments:

Amanda said...

Ohhhh! Even though the reason you're there is rough and sad, it's exciting to visit an unexpected place. As for your books...well, I don't know that Bolano has ever been described as light, and I suspect neither has any of those other titles.

But in the face of something ultra-heavy like one of those books, maybe the details of your trip will seem easier.

Wishing you all the best, ladyfriend.

Carrie said...

Yeah, I know! I am not sure how I ended up with these choices! I didn't do a ton of preparation and I guess this is what I had on hand.

Thanks for your well wishes!

Sarah said...

Hoping you and your dad are both doing well.
Hoping you find some books that are distracting and enjoyable!