Pages

Monday, January 28, 2013

All of this "coping," all of this "getting by," all of this "day by day" has turned me towards writing poetry. One of my open secrets is that I wrote poetry for many years, most of it lost now. The way that scraps of thought could be fixed by a poem was very soothing to me. I am soothed again by that now. Well, perhaps soothed is the wrong word, marginally satisfied is probably better. I can pin down the small truths and then let them rest.

I keep starting essays about grief and end up with poems. Maybe it is the sudden lack of perspective I am suffering from, but a poem seems like an option now in a way that it hasn't in a long while. I don't know how I feel about this except that any writing is better than none.

<<<>>>

Does what you write, or how you write it, change when your circumstances change? How?

3 comments:

kenan said...

Yes. I wrote poems prolifically in High School, when my emotions were bigger than I. These days I feel what I feel in manageable doses, which lend themselves to structure and resolution.

Carrie said...

Hmm. Interesting. Poetry provides that for me in the quickest way possible.

Anonymous said...

I find that when I am trying to understand how I feel about something, my brain tends even more towards metaphors, and exploring the metaphors is a way of understanding the thing itself. Maybe poetry, with its tendency towards metaphor and abstraction, is doing that for you - putting it into a shape that you can look at and see anew.